Saturday, May 3, 2014

Eastern Cemetery in Portland


I volunteer for FindAGrave, a site that posts pictures of graves so that the descendants can use them in their genealogy. I walked up to the Eastern Cemetery yesterday to take some pictures that people had asked for. The gate was locked and I walked all around it, trying to find a way in. Finally, I used my trusty IPhone to call the City of Portland and found that the key is held across the street at Carlson and Turner, an Antiquarian Book Store. What a temptation that store is! It carries used books, some very valuable, as well as maps, prints, and lithographs. The lady was very nice and when I finally tore myself away, gave me the key to the cemetery.

The cemetery is peaceful but beautiful, located near the Eastern Promenade, looking out over Casco Bay. It is the oldest cemetery in Portland, established in 1668, and is on the National Register of Historic Places. I wandered around and took about 250 pictures before it started to sprinkle. The rain was refreshing on a hot day, but sprinkles on slate ruin the pictures.
It was a good excuse to go back to the bookstore and browse. I also found
KnitWit, a yarn shop that I want desperately to visit if I can convince myself I do need more yarn right now. Maybe if I finish Harry's sweater.

No comments:

Post a Comment